Tuesday, October 30, 2012

I finally made a meatloaf that I like!

One thing that I have never liked, that everyone else seems to love, is meatloaf.  Since Jonathan likes meatloaf, I have been saying for a while now that I will try different recipes until I find one that I like.  Today, I was flipping through the newest issue of Food Network magazine and the Mix & Match feature was Mix & Match Meatloaf!  So I felt like today was a great day to try the first new recipe.  I started to design my meatloaf, but it was starting to sound like the flavor profile of all the other meatloaves I have had and disliked.  My goal with this was to make a meatloaf so different from all the others I have had that I would have no bias.  Mission accomplished! 

Here is the recipe:

1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. ground pork
2/3 C. plain breadcrumbs
1 C. shredded carrots
2 stalks celery
1/4 C. pickled jalapenos
1/2 medium onion
1/4 C. ketchup
1/2 T. basil
1/2 T. chives
1/4 T. oregano
2 eggs
1/2 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 garlic clove
1 1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper

Preheat oven to 350.  Chop carrots, celery, jalapenos, and onion in a food processor.  Mix all ingredients with hands until just combined.  Form into an oval loaf and place in baking dish.  Bake about halfway, 30 minutes. 

Then there is the glaze, make this while it's in the oven.

Spicy Barbecue Recipe:

1/4 C. barbeque sauce
2 t. honey
1 t. chipotle chile powder
1 t. cider vinegar

Brush the top and sides of the meatloaf and continue baking, about 25 more minutes.  Let rest 10 minutes before slicing. 

I actually did let it rest, I recommend it.  (Mostly, I let it rest because Chef Kevin Gillespie explained the importance of resting meat this Friday.)  If you don't like spicy things, don't make this, you probably won't like it.  I did think it was funny that the only things I had to stop at the store for were the meat, carrots, and breadcrumbs...which means I had chipotle chile powder in the pantry.  Yep, that's how I roll. 

It was delicious.  Jonathan had seconds, I would have had seconds except I knew I didn't need them.  It took a lot a self-control though.  That was my whole excitement for the evening.  Nothing very exciting in the food department, I suppose.  But the day as a whole just nuts.  Completely pistachios.

No comments:

Post a Comment