Thursday, October 8, 2009

Grumpy Mood to the Extreme Due to Stupid Talking Girls

So I'm in an incredibly grumpy mood today because these stupid girls sitting behind me in my Management class would NOT STOP TALKING!!! I am doing very poorly in that class and was going to actually make a big attempt to pay attention, take notes, and figure out what in the world the teacher could possibly be talking about. Instead, I listened as they talked about how poorly they are doing in that class...no shit, if you talk all the time!

I blame technology for doing so poorly in that class...well, partly. So yes, I am going to say that technology, in this case, SUCKS.

For this management class we have:
2 Web sites
Online homework/quizzes
Online PowerPoints (by the authors of the book, so nothing is reworded to be comprehended)
Online Book (because a print copy of the book was $200+ instead of $86...I don't have $200+)

Now mind you, I have to print out each chapter of the book as we go (my printing quota is diminishing quickly) because you cannot have the chapter open at the same time as you are doing the homework, even though they should theoretically open in separate windows. The teacher goes through the PowerPoints in class (all at least 60+ slides) that he is provided with from the book company, so all the information is basically the book in bulletpoints.

Then the homework/quizzes. I worked on the most recent one for an hour two days ago. An hour. For ten questions. The worst part is that I thought I was doing so well, I was finally getting it (I thought), until I submitted it for grading and found out that I got a 40%. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

Now, why do I blame technology for this?

Because some stupid book company thought that it would be more cost effective to put their book online instead of printing it. I have to print off the chapter (which is 60+ pages long) and so I have to put 2 pages in the space of 1 page and double-sided so it doesn't cost even more of a fortune. Then I have to try to read this little tiny print while I sit in front of a computer staring at this problem that makes no sense (though at least these aren't timed like some). You might think that because the assignments are multiple choice, I would at least be able to come up with a good guess, but that would be wrong because they have to toss in those stupid answers that you get if you correctly use the incorrect process, so you think that you are right, but then you're wrong.

To sum it up, I hate online books and online homework and I wish that these things had never become possible, much less popular. The electronic books that are coming out now, I understand that they are "helpful" or whatever, but I hate them. If books ever start to disappear, I will spend all my money, take out a loan, whatever it takes, to buy as many of them as I can get my hands on. And I will store a few thousand of them in boxes so that I can take them out from time to time and smell the new book smell because it is an awesome smell and even if they come up with some sort of new book scent to put on your electronic book, it will never be the same. I don't like when people mess with my books. It hinders my learning. It makes me grumpy. And mostly it's just nuts. Completely pistachios.

1 comment:

  1. I so agree. The class I'm taking right now has an online textbook. And we don't use it much, because the teacher does his own thing, but still. It's impossible to sit at a computer screen and read a section, much less a chapter.
    However, I have seen those little eBook things...like Amazon Kindle and I think Sony has one...and they are actually super cool and easy to read. Like, I really want one. But the downside is the price to pay for one, and then you still have to pay the fee to download a book. Like the $86, not the $200, but still. Those readers would be so useful if they actually caught on and were affordable. Think about never having a load of textbooks to haul back to the follett's trailer, or to the library, etc., but better than a laptop! However, people in general do not understand this and are stupid. I would pay for a Kindle if I only paid <$40 or 50 for each textbook, that would be worth it in the long run. But...alas.

    Technology is out there for the good, but it doesn't always end up that way.

    Also I double inflated lung you and the first thing I want to do when I get back to Purdue is get a Den Pop. The second thing I want to do is go to El Rodeo or some other Mexican place with youuuu.

    ReplyDelete